Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Rest in Peace Mr. Octavio Colmenares

The gentleman who believed in my photography book passed away on the morning of Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012.  Mr. Octavio Colmenares, who runs the small Mexican publishing company Libros Para Todos, (or Books For All), was in his 80s.

The painting hangs at his Libros Para Todos book publishing company
When I met Mr. Colmenares in late 2011 to present my book idea, he looked at my book dummy and said "yes" right away. He struck me as a very honest and straight person, like many people from his generation, so I didn't shop around further for a publisher. He was the first publisher I met, and he was perfect.

He asked me once if I had children. When I said "no," he looked at me and said: "This book will be your first," as he smiled his characteristic grin.

I only knew him for one year, and interacted with him briefly once a week at his office while working with graphic designer Margarita Hernandez. I'm sure there are many people out there who knew him well and will miss him deeply.

May you rest in peace Mr. Colmenares.

- Leslie Mazoch

No comments: